Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dear Dad,

I just finished a paper and emailed it... 2 hours before the deadline. I know that my tendency towards procrastination drove you up the wall when I was in high school. I promise, this time it wasn't my fault. We had only 24 hours to write up 2 sizable reflection papers.

I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you today. I'll call you later, but wanted to get something down here.

I was remembering today when I was young, and the Tigers were in the pennant race. A lot of the games ran much later than my bed time. You and I worked out a system where, if I came into the bathroom in the morning and found 2 toothbrushes on the counter, they won. If there was only 1, they lost. Funny memory, eh?

I want to thank you for humoring me in my youth - I know now it would have also made sense to leave a note or... just ask mom while getting ready for school. But you respected my idea, and maintained our secret system through the whole post season playoffs. I remember you tearing up a little when the Tigers won the whole deal that year. And going downtown in the van to be a part of the community celebration. Just being there.

Respect of new ideas, showing emotion, a sense of community, and a life-long dedication to the Tigers... yeah... I got those from my dad.

Happy Fathers Day, Dad.

Now, I will go find my husband who has celebrated his day by taking the kids out of the house so that I could finish my school work. What a guy!

No comments: