Monday, September 05, 2011

Like and oyster and a pearl

I mentioned in my last post that I had my gall bladder removed.

I spent a good part of late Fall - early Spring pretty sure I was pregnant. I was nauseous all the time, and there were other digestive issues. I had occasional pains that felt like early pregnancy stretching. There was bloating. I was exhausted. Despite the fact that I still had regular periods, I took a pregnancy test about every other week (friends, did you know Dollar Store tests are just as effective as the expensive ones?). I saw my gynecologist for my annual appointment, and talked to him about it. He took me seriously when I told him what was going on, and we both laughed when I told him I was worried I'd end up on one of those awful "I didn't know I was pregnant" tv shows - except I was certain I was. We did a blood test, and nope.

A month later, pain increased, and my doctor ordered a cat scan. The cat scan showed no cysts or hernias, which was what she was expecting. I did, however, have one stone in my gall bladder. And that stone was mighty large, and likely occasionally sat on the bile duct. It's amazing to me how much trouble that one stone caused.

So, a week and a half ago, I had the gall bladder and stone removed. Today, I'm feeling 95% back to normal. When I was preparing for it, I did a lot of reading on the web. That's a bad idea, as there's a lot of worst case info out there. To balance out the info, I might write here about the surgery and recovery this week.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Glad you are almost fully recovered!

Anonymous said...

DARN !! :)

apt said...

Dear Anon.,
Would you like a crazy person for a daughter? Because I'm certain that throwing a 3rd into the mix would do it.
PS, you crack me up.

Bri said...

Yes, three makes you crazy.
Very.
Very.
Very.
Crazy.

I can't even *imagine* what four would be like.. ;)