Monday, November 20, 2006

I've heard new moms complain that once they had a baby, they felt invisible. They became secondary, and didn’t like it.

Willa and I left Jim at home for his black tie fundraiser, and went to my parents’ house this weekend for a family wedding (super duper fun family wedding). When we walked through the door, you’d think that her car carrier was magically levitating- that I wasn’t holding it. All eyes and grins were affixed on Willa. And I didn’t mind. She’s the best do-it-yourself (ourselves, this is a team effort) project ever and I’m pretty proud of our work of art.

Observing my family’s adoration for her gave me joy. It’s the best present I could ever give my parents and siblings. MaKenna enjoyed her cousin too; she zealously shared her fruit puffs and hugs. She was not pleased when Willa started to gnaw on her purse.

Dad and I danced to “What a Wonderful World” at my wedding, and again this weekend. Dad was what my brothers like to call a little “over-served,” but his intent was true when he said, “thanks for giving us such a beautiful grandchild.” I could only grin, blink back a few tears, and say “you’re welcome.”

“I hear babies cry, I watch them grow. They’ll learn much more, than I’ll never know. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.”

No comments: