Monday, July 30, 2007

Wake up call then on the road

8 am Sunday: I was snoozing in bed while Jim was with Willa. Now that I'm done with Harry Potter (great ending), Jim's picked it up, so Willa easily wandered away from him. Into our bedroom she went with a big cup of water. Cold water. At least it felt cold when it hit my back while she stood there giggling and holding an empty cup above her head.

We were all up hours earlier with Willa's daily wake up call. It usually comes near 6 am, and Jim usually gets her and brings her to bed with us to nurse. She'll be 16 months old next week. Weaning? I'm ready. She is not. I know nearly 16 months of breastfeeding is a great gift to give to my child. But I'm feeling very guilty to say out loud and type here that I'm really tired of it. I have had enough. So at 6 am she was wailing on my lap, pushing the sippy cup away and tugging at the bottom of my t-shirt and I wanted to cry too. I don't know how to get off of this ride. There are lactation consultants to guide new moms through the start of the process, but no one to call up to ask how to end it peacefully, mutually, and with love. I need breastfeeding hospice.
(This photo here thanks to Cousin Jenny's reminder to post the photos of me. I feel weird plastering my own face on my own blog. On the other hand, when Willa's 14 and requesting me to drop her off at a friends and then speed away so she doesn't have to be mortified by being seen in public with her mom, we may both need proof that there was a time she wanted to hug me.)

What else we did this weekend:

Enjoyed the first harvest from our vegetable garden. Here is the giant zucchini. If it were a shoe, it would be a men's 15 or so. It was diced and shredded and made into roaster veggies for burritos and what we're calling zucchini fritters. Very tasty.

The plant in this photo is called a Crown of Thorns. It was a cutting from a larger one we already have. If I ever have a contest on this blog, this could be a prize. Anyone interested?

We also ate our first home grown tomato. And then I died and went to heaven and thanked God for garden tomatoes and he sent me back to take care of the rest of the crop.

On Saturday we were in Kalamazoo for an all day Special Olympics softball tournament. Major league baseball has a lot to learn from these athletes when it comes to love of the game.

We took an old fashioned Sunday ride and wound up in Holland for lunch and Saugatuck for wandering.

5 comments:

Em said...

The Ice Cream Monster is going to get YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Great weekend....yay for tomatoes, even though I don't like them. Your zucchini on the other hand...I could eat the WHOLE thing.

JT said...

I should have edited the photos better, there is so much beauty in the world besides my ugly mug...

Tony said...

Thanks for your kind words over at my blog. I'm digging this whole "making blog friends thing".

It's getting me one step closer to being a real nerd, not just the faux nerd I have always pretended to be...and giving me the chance to meet some pretty neat people.

Anonymous said...

Me, Mom, and Lisa from RAA all laughed really hard at the early morning wake up call from Willa. ~B

AmyinMotown said...

What a gorgeous picture of you and Willa! You have enviable hair. I would love to be close enough to Saugatuck to just wander there for the afternoon. And I am right there with you on thanking God for the tomato -- we have been pulling our grape tomatoes and yellow pear tomatoes right off the vine and eating them. And by "we" I mostly mean Maggie. Had my first green zebra tomato yesterday and oh my LORD it was amazing.