Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Dill Pickle Soup DIY

For about 12 years, starting when I was a freshman at GVSU, I received cards in the mail from Grandma Laws. In the cards was always a handwritten note about the weather, the escapades of Poopsie the bird, and a note of hello from Grandpa. Many times the card would contain clippings from Reader's Digest, a cute comic strip or column from the paper. One of the clippings was a recipe from Grandma's church paper.

Once I found a recipe that combined peanut butter with eggplant. It sounded so awful, I thought it must be good, and I tried it. It was awful. This one is not. If you like pickles, give it a shot.

DILL PICKLE SOUP (serves 4)
8 chicken bullion cubes (I used vegetarian vegetable bullion)
8 cups water
1/2 cup chopped carrots (I'd put in closer to 3/4 cup)
1 cup diced potatoes (again, a little more might do you good)
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (someday when "I'll allergic to mushrooms isn't around, I'll give it a shot)
3 large dill pickles (Grandma wrote in "Get pickles in the dairy section!")
1/2 stick butter
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch (hey, follow the directions on the box for mixing this into water before mixing it into the soup)
3 tablespoons dill weed

Boil carrots, potatoes and mushrooms in broth until tender
Grate dill pickles (I love my food processor) and add to boiling mixture with butter
Reduce heat, add sour cream and mix vigorously with whisk
Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup water and add to mixture

Simmer for a bit, enjoy with a good bread. After, if you've still got a grandma send her a card. Include a Family Circus cartoon - she'll love it!

No comments: