Thursday, April 05, 2007

"Ummm... I don't think I'm going anywhere. I think my water just broke." I spoke those words a year and a few hours ago to my doctor who was discharging me from the hospital. I was 39 weeks pregnant and was sent to the hospital to be monitored for high blood pressure, swelling, and possible protein in my urine. The concern was that I was developing pre-eclampsia. After a night in the hospital my blood pressure went down and my doctor was telling me to go home after my 24 hour collection time was over.
Apparently Willa had other plans. Because the water broke in a very messy gush, I was happy to be in a hospital bed (and not at work or my car or in a store...) talking with the woman who would, 19 hours later, place brand new beautiful and slimy daughter on my chest.
This was one of the longest, mentally, emotionally, and physically challenging days of my life. And the next day, at 2:51 am, there she was. Tomorrow we will celebrate Willa. But today, I celebrate myself and every woman who has gone through the miraculous yet mundane process of pregnancy and childbirth.
Here is a photo of me in the small pocket of time between relief that my water broke and it was time to get the show on the road, and the devil Pitocen (labor inducing drug) was wheeled into the room. Notice the Sudoku book and journal. I have a few notes from early in the day written down in the journal and did 3 puzzles. Both lasted to about the time I entered a phase where I also wanted to maim Jim for standing in front of a screw on a electrical outlet. Visual confirmation of the screw's existence and my ability to stare at it with intensity that would have lit sticks on fire gave me comfort that I would most likely make it through the next contraction.
You can also see that I was wearing purple slipper socks which stayed on during the entire labor and delivery. I now call them my warrior socks. When I wear them, I feel the strength and focus I drew on that day.

2 comments:

Em said...

How cool...I hope to chronicle the experience as much as I can. Looks like you have that down. Congratulations to you momma, for all your hard work in getting Willa here, and a big Congrats to that little girl who is about to turn 1!

Anonymous said...

I just had a twilight moment.. 27 days later Rosalie was born... at 2:51PM. How creepy is that?!? I agree, Pitocin is the devil! And I'm sure that epidural are nice, I just wish that mine had worked!!