Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sweetness follows

Our night time routine with the kids has settled into plucking them out of their shared bath and then playing man-to-man defense. Jim reads Henry his stories, sings him a sweet song, and tucks him in. I take Willa upstairs for her stories, a discussion of the day, and kisses.

Last night, Jim was taking Henry toward the crib. "Goodnight, Henry," I said, "I love you."

He replied, "I love you too, mommmmmie."

And I teared up a little. For some reason the "too" made a difference. He's not just repeating what we're saying; he understands, he knows, he reciprocates.

1 comment:

AmyinMotown said...

Awwww.....aren't those moments just amazing and worth every frustrating "I am going to scream if I can't have one MILLISECOND of quiet!" days? The first time I got "I love you, Mama" from Will I cried.