Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Home sweet BlondRepublicanChristianPyramidschemehomeproducts Home

14 years ago I made the decision to leave the family nest in Warren, MI to head to Grand Valley State University. After lugging my belongings up the 3 flights of steps in Kistler Hall my parents hugged me tight and turned around to drive the 3 hours home. This was my first day as a West Michigander.

When I decided to go to school a little west of Grand Rapids, I didn't know the stereotypes of the region. I decided on GVSU because it had a good teaching program, I liked all of the trees on campus, and it was away without being too far away (though there were some homesick weekends where Warren felt as far away as Warsaw).

Over the next few months, I noticed that the girls in my dorm were fairly diverse looking. "Diverse" meant a lot to this girl from the suburb that white flight built (this week 40th anniversary of the Detroit riots). On campus, though, I noticed that the larger population, which included the commuter students, was much more blond and blue eyed. And Christian.
Most of my childhood friends had Polish or Italian roots. I grew up with a lot of ____ski's and a lot of the old men sat in lawn chairs while watching their little old Italian wives do the yard work while wearing black dresses. I had a friend who was Lutheran and it blew my mind when she told me that she didn't believe in the Pope. "Mom, will Kelley go to hell?"

Western Michigan (central W. MI anyhow) is the home of Vander_____'s Dutch folk, the Christian Reformed Church, and Amway. Also, the Republican party of the state.

Needless to say, I fit right in. What's that? Oh, it's the sarcasm bell.

Amy in Motown made a comment 2 posts back that started me thinking about this city. Go ahead and read it. I'll wait....

I actually left GR after 4 years of college to do a year in the Americorps National Civilian Community Corps. I was based out of Charleston, SC, but we moved all around the SE US. Then I returned to Grand Rapids to finish my degree.

I left again to go work for Habitat for Humanity at their headquarters in Americus, GA. From there went to live in DC and then Baltimore.

And then suddenly I didn't have a place to call home. I was living a Bob Dylan song and it didn't feel comfortable to have "no direction home", to be "a complete unknown."

I was 29; Warren was too far in my past to feel like it was familiarly "right." I felt the trees and the Grand River of Western Michigan pulling me back. I returned without a job. In the interview I mentioned to my future boss that I was hoping to set down roots. I met Jim the month I started the job. Jim grew up in Grand Rapids and, ironically came from a Polish Catholic family.

Maybe it's who I have decided to surround myself with, but I don't feel oppressed by the Dutch Conservative ReChrislicans (trademark right declared here - I just made that one up) that western Michigan is know for. These generalizations may come from another era or perhaps from a smaller town down the road where tulips and thrift are king. I'm not sure...
I recently learned that Grand Rapids isn't who we think it is. There are more Catholics than Christian Reformers here. Despite being much less "colorful" than other large(ish) cities, Grand Rapids is only 67% white. And while wealthy Republicans have the resources to be louder here (ahem, Mr. DeVos), the city itself leans left. Want to see this from someone other than me? Okay, go here.
I could pretend that we're like Laura and the Ingalls family: pioneers on the frontier bringing liberalism to the "savages" (just kidding conservative pals, just kidding). But that's not the case: I have friends who are Dutch and/or Republican and/or think that the Bible Belt of the state needs tightening, but we have mutual unstated agreements that live and let live makes it work. I also know a lot of folks in the area who think along the same lines as I do.
Here are some scenes from the city Al Green, yes that Al Green, and I call home:



Olds Manor, one of my favorite buildings. Most recently a retirement home, now vacant with severe building safety issues.




This guy watches over a busy intersection. I've cropped out the For Lease sign directly under him. At photo taking time, I thought that was a clever political statement.






Willa and I on the steps of Fountain Street Church. Everything stereotypes of W. Mi is not.







Here they tore down a parking ramp, revealing some old ads on an old building. Magic Johnson considered building a movie theater here, but didn't. If I weren't taking the photo standing in a park, I'd suggest making keeping the land underdeveloped for more green space.
Physically Grand Rapids is growing, as evidenced by the construction cranes that dot the skyline. Culturally too, the city is a work in progress. "Outsiders" and daring insiders stretch and change the community norms. Within the last few years I've been able to find good pita bread here (Detroiters, you have no idea...), I can speak of my love of John Edwards without fear of excommunication, and have had more awkward discussions with Mormons than Christian Reformers on our front steps.
We'll see how long our roots remain in Grand Rapids soil, but for now? We're enjoying walking along the river, and through the trees and neighborhoods of West Michigan.
Bonus fun fact of the day: Native Grand Rapidians are statistically taller than the rest of the country.

9 comments:

Em said...

Statistically taller is right. Look at my mammoth ass.

I love the word Rechris-whatever it was...nice word usage Amy!

And about the rest of the post:
As someone who is all the more unfamiliar with the 'other side' (read: getting lost in Dearborn where a horrible fight then ensued, I don't know how you Detroiters do it!)it was kind of refreshing to read this. To know that we aren't all a bunch of Dutch, Republican freaks that bang our Bibles at the local Dutch hang out. There is a diverse crowd here in this town, much to the dismay of the stereotype that looms. There are more Polish people here than many other parts of the country. The West side is proof of that. The Polish history in this city runs deep, almost as deep as the Dutch roots grow.

Very interesting thoughts, and facts about our cute little GR. I love this town. I will probably never leave. I feel comfortable here. I don't want to be more than an hour from the lake. Ever. The more and more I go out and about, the more this city surprises me. I like to hope I am one of those "daring insiders" ferociously leaving my mark on this city.

You know how I feel about stereotypes of this area....sometimes, they just aren't totally accurate. We ARE a work in progress, and I am having a heck of a lot of fun being a part of that work. It is our generation that will bring the liberalism to the savages. It is an older generation, or era as you have said it, that has the stereotype in place. It is our job to change it. With all of the growth and development and people moving here, we are bound to make a change and we are. Fun stuff...

Oh and that area is in debate...the one you think should be a greenspace. Others apparently think the same way! I am going to go hunt for the article.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Really,
Love you!

apt said...

Really, anonymous (who, Internet, is my husband)?! All that nougat to consider and you comment on spelling?!

Anonymous said...

so should we call you a some what native? If so what happened to the height ?

apt said...

Okay, folks, here's the deal on the deleted comment (Sinki is fully transparent in practices).
Jim - the Jim who I married - wrote a comment about using spell check. Instead of having 3 comments about that, I tried to delete them. I didn't know Blogger would let you know that I was deleting comments. Then I felt like I was censoring.
Quagmire. That's what happened. No way out.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see Amy in a picture. It's always hard to be a mom in a picture with the kids, because its usually us taking them.~ Jen

AmyinMotown said...

Wow, this is a great post. It makes me want to go back to GR and learn about the city proper. My friends from college were from East Kentwood and EGR, which were fairly called the "Bland Rapids" nickname. It sounds like GR, like a lot of cities, has reclaimed and capitalized on its downtown. Thus drawing more wordly young folks like yourselves. And of course the Poles--we are the very barometers of cool :-). Pierogi power.

I also would like to be you when I grow up--Americorps AND Habititat? You're so cool.

Jana said...

I'm glad to read your thoughts on GR. My husband grew up here, and we moved here after we got married. Despite the fact that I grew up in an even more conservative, even more Dutch small town in Iowa, I thought GR was much worse in the ReChrislican department. You've been very very fair here.