Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Life I love you, all is groovy


4 chambers of a beating heart, 2 hands, 2 feet, spine, kidneys, bladder... adorable alienish profile. Mouth open and shut, hands moving, fist pumping, squirm, squirm, squirm.
Above, you'll see baby's head at the right. Huge forehead (normal for this age), nose, neck, belly, and then the leg and knee. Baby's foot is behind the placenta, which is that mass above its head.

Everything looked great. Everything we could see, anyhow...

After 40 minutes, the tech told me to go pee a little (after drinking 32 oz of water, I was happy to oblige) to see if we could get a shot easier that way. Nope.

After 50 minutes I told her that we had time, but understood if she couldn't spend much longer looking, and we wouldn't leave devastated not knowing the gender. She said SHE needed to know, it was going to drive her crazy.

After an hour she started to clean off my belly while asking Jim what he did. When he told her he worked for an organization that allows intellectually disabled people participate in competitive athletics*, she put more goo on me and tried again for 15 more minutes. Her daughter swims with said organization.

The baby was very active: breach, head up, head down, and then breach the other way. BUT legs crossed and the cord in the way the whole time. At one point all 3 of us saw and thought for sure "girl." A minute and baby shift later, we all thought "boy?" back and forth so many times!

It is still a mystery. And might be so until baby arrives. Baby is measuring a week ahead, and heart rate was 144. It was a sweet and lovely experience, and I'm not at all disappointed to not know. In fact, I'm kind of tickled.

Universe? You're pretty funny. Jim and I spent a lot of time on the "do we want to know this time" question. And this was a good lesson/reminder that it wasn't up to us. Anyone need to share a secret with someone? Tell our baby, he/she's good at keeping those quiet.

*He, of course said the name, I'm trying to keep that off of the blog for privacy sake. I'm sure you've figured it out, but it's not Googleable this way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yahoo for sneaky baby sinki.. all healthy and moving around... good deal! _hgh

AmyinMotown said...

Fabulous!! I am so glad baby is healthy and good and big and sneaky, apparently. Will showed his stuff pretty early, so I knew before the tech told us with him. I thought I saw a penis then too. Both times, Ultrasound Day was just a highlight of my pregnancy. Did you cry? I did. Please tell me I'm not the only dork.

I'm just so excited and happy for you. And for this baby, to be so wanted and loved before s/he even shows up.

Christina said...

Glad everything is going great!! yay!